Yan’s group warmly welcomes highly motivated students, post docs and other research personnel to join. Positions at undergraduate, graduate, and postdoctoral levels are all available. We are currently actively hiring PhD students. Candidates with relevant background to any of our ongoing projects are invited to apply. Exchanging students/scholars are also cordially invited to join. Please contact Prof. Ning Yan to apply a position or ask for more details: firstname.lastname@example.org
Check out our Twitter account for regular updates.
Check out our Twitter account for regular updates.
- New! 25/March/2020 Prof. Yan was invited to join the editorial board of a new journal “The Innovation” launched by Cell Press. The aspiration of the journal is “to see the unseen and to change the unchanged”.
- New! 25/March/2020 Mr. Shipeng Ding finished his exchange in UC Berkerley and had a safe travel back to Singapore. Congratulations! May we stay together, healthy and strong.
- New! 20/March/2020 Max Hülsey has been awarded the Young Scientists Travel Support Prize (worth 500 USD) for the coming 17th International Catalysis Congress in San Diego, California. Congratulations!!!
- 6/February/2020 Prof. Yan and 4 other colleagues from ChemEng NUS attended the NUS-Chula joint Chemical Engineering Symposium in Bangkok between 3 and 4 Feb 2020.
- 16/January/2020 Welcome to our new Exchange PhD students Surachet Hongkailers (Pond) and Chanasit Kaewngam from Chulalongkorn University.
- 13/January/2020 Prof. Fengshou Xiao from Zhejiang University visited us and gave a department seminar on catalyst design by tuning the surface wettability.
- 12/January/2020 We warmly welcome Dr. Kyungho Lee, who received BSc and PhD degrees from KAIST, Korea, as well as Dr. Shixiang Feng, who received BSc and Masters degrees from Wuhan University and PhD degree from Tokyo Metropolitan University, as Research Fellows. Dr. Feng will work in Tianjin University helping to set up our lab in Fuzhou!
- 9/November/2019 Warm welcome to Dr. Jiawei Zhong for joining our group as Research Fellow.
- 19/October/2019 Welcome to our new Exchange PhD student JING Yaxuan from East China University of Science and Technology.
- 28/August/2019 Welcome to our new Exchange PhD students ZHOU Shenghui from South China University of Technology and CHEN Jianjun from Sichuan University.
- 20/August/2019 Warm welcome to Dr. SEE Jie Yang for joining our group as Research Fellow.
- 09/August/2019 Exciting times for our group. Welcome to Haoyue Li, Ying Zheng, Sikai Wang, Sie Shing Wong and Chia Wei Lim joining our group as PhD students.
- 10/June/2019 Warm welcome to undergraduate exchange student Guillermo Mier y Teran from University of California, Berkeley.
- 29/May/2019 Prof. YAN Ning just received the highly prestigious NUS Young Researcher Award 2019 for his contributions to the conversion of biomass to value-added chemicals and the fields of nano and single-atom catalysis. Congratulations!
- 20/March/2019 Prof. YAN Ning has just been named recipient of the Engineering Young Researcher Award 2019. Congratulations!
- 06/March/2019 Welcome to our new Exchange PhD student Kaewbuddee Chatkamol from Khon Kaen University.
- 13/February/2019 Warm welcome to Prof. Qi Yu, a visiting scholar from Shaanxi University of Technology, Liwei Cao as an exchange PhD student from Cambridge University and Chenggong Jiang, an exchange student from Tianjin University.
- 25/January/2019 Our group developed a new pathway to convert corn stover to terephthalic acid. The work is published in Angewandte Chemie International Edition as a Hot Paper. Cheers!
- 10/January/2019 We are very happy to announce that we will be part of the catalysis team in the new Joint Institute between Tianjin University and NUS in Fuzhou.
- 6/December/2018 We warmly welcome Prof. Long Jinxing from South China University of Technology and Prof. Liu Yibin from China University of Petroleum as visiting scholars in our group.
- 22/November/2018 Elena Martin, a PhD candidate from the Université de Toulouse III Paul Sabatier joins our group for a short research stint. Welcome!
- 23/October/2018 Prof. YAN Ning accepts the invitation from Elsevier to become an editor for Molecular Catalysis. Together with other editors, he will strive to push this journal to a new level.
- 05/October/2018 We warmly welcome Dr. Long Zhouyang as a visiting scholar from Jiangsu Normal University.
- 13/September/2018 Prof. YAN Ning was promoted to the position of Associate Professor, congratulations from all group members.
- 13/September/2018 Our research on the chemical production of amino acids from biomass resources published in PNAS was featured by Straits Times, NUS News, phys.org, TechExplorist, Newswise and others recently.
- 04/September/2018 We welcome Song Xiaozhe from Beijing Forestry University and Qu Jiafu from Soochow University as new visiting PhD students.
- 01/August/2018 Warm welcome to Dr. Sun Qiming and Dr. Fu Xinpu for joining our group as research fellow.
- 11/June/2018 Dr. Shu Riyang joins our group as a visiting scholar from Guangdong University of Technology, welcome.
- 06/June/2018 We warmly welcome Grace Park and Maxim Dickieson from US who joined our group for summer internships.
- 8/May/2018 Zhang Bin was awarded the 2017 Chinese Government Award for Outstanding Self-financed Students Abroad. Congratulations.
- 30/April/2018 Prof. YAN Ning was featured by Asian Scientist as Asia's Rising Scientist. Thanks to all current and previous members' efforts.
- 16/April/2018 We welcome our new exchange master student from Technical University Munich Fatih Yakar.
- 22/Mar/2018 Prof. YAN Ning received the prestigious ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering Lectureship Award in New Orleans, USA, during the 255th ACS National Meeting & Exposition. Credits should go to all current and past group members!
- 07/March/2018 We warmly welcome Dr. Zhang Zhenhua who just graduated from University of Science and Technology of China as a postdoctoral research fellow.
- 09/February/2018 We wish that the two exchange master students Supphathee Chaowamalee (Soup) and Supanut Phumpradit (Kiw) from Chulalongkorn University (Thailand) have a good time in our group.
- 12/January/2018 To the beginning of the new year, we welcome Mireira Palma Cazorla, an exchange master student from the University of Malaga (Spain).
- 03/November/2017 Dr. Zhang Pingbo from Jiangnan University joins the group as visiting scholar, warm welcome.
- 30/August/2017 DAI Jinhang from Sichuan University joins the group as exchange PhD student, welcome Jinhang!
- 15/August/2017 We welcome Dr Vadim Ermolaev from Institute of Organic and Physical Chemistry, A.E. Arbuzov KSC RAS as visiting scholar.
- 02/August/2017 We welcome four new members to the group, Dr. Song Song from Zhengzhou University as research fellow, Mr. Gökalp Gözaydın from Izmir Institute of Technology as PhD student, Ms. Joanne Zimmer from University of Leipzig as undergraduate exchange student and Ms. Wang Dingyi from Tsinghua University as research engineer.
- 03/July/2017 We welcome Tian Peng from Tsinghua University as non-graduating non-exchange student.
- 24/May/2017 We welcome Zahra Hanifah from University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign as undergraduate exchange student.
- 23/May/2017 Dr Deng, Yunzhu and Zhang Bin win the poster awards in SACC 2017, congratulations!
- 09/May/2017 Prof. Yan has conferred the RSC Environment, Sustainability and Energy Division Early Career Award. Congratulations! http://www.rsc.org/ScienceAndTechnology/Awards/ESEDEarlyCareerAward/
- 20/Feb/2017 We welcome Gerald Har in our group as research engineer.
- 01/Feb/2017 We welcome Jennifer Attard as PhD exchange intern student from the University of York, UK.
- 12/Jan/2017 We welcome Ozan Utan as exchange masters student from the University of Cologne, Germany.
- 04/Jan/2017 Prof. Yan joined the Early Career Board of ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering. Cheers! http://pubs.acs.org/page/ascecg/editors.html
- 04/Jan/2017 Max Hülsey joined our group as a PhD student. Warmly welcome!
- 14/Dec/2016 Zhang Bin won the Best Poster Award at 9th Singapore International Chemistry Conference (SICC9), recognized by Light Science & Applications.
- 10/Oct/2016 We warmly welcome two new members to join our group: BUI Hanh My as MSc research intern student from Technical University of Munich (Germany) and Zhang Zhang as exchange PhD student from Beijing Forestry University (China).
- 30/Sept/2016 Ms. Yunzhu Wang successfully defended her PhD Oral Qualifying Examination (OQE). Congratulations!
- 25/Sept/2016 Prof. Yan has been listed as Top 10 Reviewers for Catalysis Science & Technology. Congratulations! http://blogs.rsc.org/cy/2016/09/20/top-10-reviewers-for-catalysis-science-technology/
- 22/Sept/2016 Our group won the 3rd best prize in safety video contest organized by the department. Well done guys!
- 05/Sept/2016 Ding Shipeng from Chinese Academy of Sciences (China) joined the group as a PhD student. Yang Fu from Nanjing Tech University (China) joined as exchange PhD student. Ina Jonalik from Heinrich-Heine University (Germany) and Lombardo Loris Giovanni from EPFL (Switzerland) joined the group as undergraduate and masters exchange student. Dr. Yue Chuanjun from Changzhou Institute of Technology (China) joined the group as a visiting scientist. A warm welcome!
- 02/Jun/2016 Our collaborative project with CNRS, France has been selected to be highlighted in Le Petit Journal. http://www.lepetitjournal.com/singapour/economie/247495-le-programme-merlion-catalyseur-de-la-chimie-verte
- 24/May/2016 We warmly welcome Mr. Gabriel Patron from University of Toronto, Ms. Emma Wu from Rice University, and Mr. Dhushyanth Viswanath from University of Wisconsin-Madison to join our group for summer research program.
- 20/May/2016 Yan Group members attended Singapore Catalysis Society Annual Forum. Zhang Bin and Chen Xi won the Best Oral Presentation Award and the Best Poster Award, respectively. Congratulations!
- 21/Mar/2016 Dr. Deng Weiping from Xiamen University joined our group as a visiting scientist. Welcome!
- Feb/2016 Our work on shell refinery is highlighted by Office of Deputy President (Research & Technology) at NUS. Well done! http://www.nus.edu.sg/dpr/researchNUS/highlightsandNews.html
- 11/Jan/2016 We warmly welcome Dr. Song Hongbing from Qingdao University of Science & Technology (China), Dr. Zhou Yu from Nanjing Tech University (China), and Dr. Jung Ji Chul from Myongji University (South Korea) to join our group as visiting scientists for one year.
- 01/Dec/2015 Prof. Laura Torrente-Murciano from University of Cambridge visited our group and delivered a talk.
- 30/Nov/2015 Prof. Chanatip Samart from Thammasat University visited our group in November.
- 27/Nov/2015 Prof. Karen Wilson from Aston University visited our group and delivered a talk.
- 17/Nov/2015 Prof. James Clark from University of York visited our group and delivered a talk.
- 09/Nov/2015 We welcome Dr. Sudipta De from University of Delhi joining us as a research fellow, and Mr. Zhang Zailei from Chinese Academy of Sciences joining as a research engineer.
- 02/Nov/2015 We welcome Ms. Wu Liubi from East China Normal University to join our group as exchange Master student.
- 25/Oct/2015 Prof. Yan won NUS Young Investigator Award (YIA). Thank all the lab members for the efforts.
- 15/Oct/2015 Prof. Yan assumed his duty as Associate Editor for RSC Adv. from Oct-2015.
- 07/Oct/2015 We welcome Dr. Joana Romao from Netherland joining us as a visiting scholar, and Mr. Alberto Garzón Quiñones from Spain joining as exchange Master student.
- 01/Sep/2015 Dr. Gao Yongjun finished his post-doctoral work and joined Hebei University as an associate professor. Wish him a brilliant future there.
- 31/Aug/2015 Prof. Luming Peng from Nanjing University visited our group and delivered a talk in August.
- 01/Aug/2015 Prof. Yan did a lecture tour in UK and China between 10-24 July. He visited University of Bath, University of Manchester, University of Liverpool, Imperial College London in UK, and Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Nanjing University of Technology, Nanjing University, Guangzhou Institute of Energy Conversion, CAS, in China.
- 20/Jul/2015 Dr. Gao Yongjun visited the University of Bath, UK for two weeks, to conduct a collaborative research.
- 03/Jul/2015 Chen Xi participated the prestigious Lindau Nobel Laureate Meetings in Germany. 65 Nobel Prize Laureate and 650 young scholars participated the conference. Congratulations!
- 03/Jul/2015 Prof. Yuriy Roman from MIT, Prof. Tatsuya Tsukuda from the University of Tokyo, and Prof. Negishi Yuichi from Tokyo University of Science visited our group and delivered invited talks at the department.
- 30/Jun/2015 Prof. Edman Tsang from Oxford visited our group and delivered invited talk at the department in June.
- 31/May/2015 Prof. Chen Zhao from East China Normal University visited our group in May.
- 05/May/2015 Prof. Yan received the G2C2 Young Researcher Award from Global Green Chemistry Center Network. This is a highly competitive, international award for young scientists (below 35) working in green chemistry and engineering. Among 63 applicants worldwide, Dr. Yan was proud to be the only recipient in 2015: https://g2c2.greenchemistrynetwork.org/winner-of-the-g2c2-young-researcher-award-2015/ Congratulations!
- 01/May/2015 Our work on Au Nanocluster catalysis is featured as a Hot Article in the online collection as well as highlighted on the journal blog.
- 09-19/Feb/2015 Prof. Yan visited University of Oxford, University of York, University of Bath and University of Nottingham in a ten-day UK trip. He was also invited to give a lecture at the Chemical Engineering Department and Centre for Sustainable Chemical Technologies in Bath.
- 02/Feb/2015 Mr. Michael Joyes from University of Bath (UK) joined Yan group as an exchange PhD. student. Welcome!
- 28/Jan/2015 Dr. Lan Wang from Institute of Process Engineering, Chinese Academy of Science joined Yan group as a visiting scholar. Welcome!
- 19-20/Jan/2015 Prof. Fabien Volle from University of Paris Nord visited Yan Group and delivered a talk.
- Dec/2014 Dr. Jun Fang finished his post-doctoral work at the group and will join Nanjing University of Technology (a State Key university) as Associate Professor in 2015. Warmest congratulations!!!
- 01-31/Dec/2014 Dr. Jiaguang Zhang visited and conducted collaborative work at the Laboratoire de Chimie de Coordination at CNRS in France.
- 10-20/Dec/2014 Prof. Yan launched a lecture tour in Germany and Taiwan. He visited and provided invited seminars at Max Planck Institute for Coal Research, RWTH Aachen University, University of Cologne, National Tsinghua University and National Taiwan University.
- 13/Dec/2014 Prof. Fangming Jin from Shanghai Jiao Tong University visited Yan Group and provided invited seminar in our department.
- 25-27/Nov/2014 Prof. Xindong Mu from Qingdao Institute of Bioenergy & Bioprocess Technology (Chinese Academy of Sciences, China) visited Yan Group and provided invited seminar in our department.
- 20/Oct/2014 Mr. Mahmoud IBRAHIM from University Paul Sabatier- LCC joins Yan group as an exchange PhD student under the Merlion Project. Welcome!
- 23-24/Sep/2014 Prof. Yan won Green Chemistry Award from UNESCO (one of six all over the world). Congratulations! He attended the award ceremony organized during the PhosAgro-UNESCO-IUPAC Symposium on Green Chemistry in Moscow. Click to see more details on the website of UNESCO
- 26/Jul-1/Aug/2014 Prof. Yan attended the Gordon Research Seminar/Conference (Hong Kong, China) and delivered a talk.
- 25/Jul/2014 Srinidhi Narayanan from Anna University joins Yan group as a master candidate. Welcome!
- 04/Jul/2014 Our research featured by International Innovation. Well done! Click to review article
- 04/Jul/2014 ZHANG Jiaguang obtained his PhD degree from Peking University, China, after one and half year stay in the group. Congratulations!! He rejoins the group as a Research Fellow. Welcome!
- 30/Jun/2014 WANG Yunzhu, who did her FYP in the group, rejoined as a Research Engineer. She is co-supervised by A/P Saif Khan. Welcome!
- 06/Jun/2014 Prof. Yan visited the Tomishige group at Tohuku University, Japan and presented our recent progress on biomass conversion.
- 01-05/Jun/2014 Prof. Yan attended the TOCAT7 (Kyoto, Japan) and delivered an invited talk.
- 29-31/May/2014 Chen Xi and Prof. Yan (invited speaker) attended the International Symposium on Catalysis for Renewable Chemicals in Hokkaido, Japan.
- 01-31/Mar/2014 Prof. T. Tanaka at Kyoto University in Japan hosted Dr. Yan’s stay as a Visiting Assistant Professor for one month. Dr. Yan carried out collaborative works in his lab and also gave lectures at both Kyoto University and Tokyo Metropolitan University (invited by Prof. T. Shishido) during his visit.
- 10/Feb/2014 Prof. Yan was invited to join the editorial board of “Nanotechnology Reviews”. http://www.degruyter.com/view/j/ntrev?rskey=60E1VF&result=1&q=nanotechnology
- 05/Feb/2014 Mr. Michael Kessler from Universität zu Köln joins Yan group as an exchange PhD. student. Welcome!
- 17/Dec/2013 Dr. Fang Jun from University of Science and Technology of China joins Yan group as a research fellow. Welcome!
- 08-09/Nov/2013 Prof. Xie and Prof. Yan visited the University of California, Santa Cruz and delivered invited seminars there.
- 03-08/Nov/2013 Prof. Yan communicated two presentations, concerning the progress of lignin and chitin valorization in the group, during 2013 AIChE Annual Meeting in San Francisco.
- 24/Sep/2013 Ms Li Wenjing from Peking University joins Yan group as an exchange PhD student. Welcome!
- 02/Sep/2013 Prof. Kentaro Teramura from Kyoto University (Japan) visits Yan Group.
- 22/Aug/2013 Prof. Masazumi Tamura from Tohoku University (Japan) visits our lab.
- 21/Aug/2013 Prof. Yan gives an invited talk on the progress of NiAu catalyst for lignin conversion on 15th Asian Chemical Congress.
- 02/Aug/2013 Pierson Yann and Bobbink Félix Daniel from Swiss Institute of Technology (EPF-Lausanne, EPFL) join Yan Group as exchange master students. Welcome them!
- 22/Jul/2013 Prof. Tsunehiro Tanaka from Kyoto University (Japan) visits Yan Group, carrying out extensive discussions and providing valuable suggestions to each lab member.
- 13/Jul/2013 Hiroyuki Asakura from Nagoya University (Japan) visits Yan Group.
- 01/Jul/2013 Ms Hannelore Konnerth from University of Cologne joins Yan Group as an exchange master student. Welcome!
- 02/Jun/2013 We warmly welcome Dr. Gao Yongjun who joins the group as a research fellow.
- 26-30/May/2013 Dr. Yan gives an invited talk entitled “Towards Rational Design of Nanocatalysis in Ionic Liquids” in the Green Catalysis session during the 96th Canadian Chemistry Conference & Exhibition in Quebec City, Canada.
- 03/Apr/2013 Yan Group’s research is highlighted by the Office of the Deputy President at NUS: http://www.nus.edu.sg//dpr/energy/Experts/conversations-with.htm#convo01
- 27-29/Mar/2013 Dr. Yan is invited to give a talk on the “Bioenergy and Biorefinery Conference - Southeast Asia 2013”. It is a biennial conference with more than 100 participants.
- 01/Mar/2013 Mr. Zhang Bin joins Yan group for his Final Year Project (FYP), who is in his last year of undergraduate study in Chemistry Department, Peking University. Welcome!
- 15/Oct/2012 Mr. Zhang Jiaguang joins Yan group as the first exchange PhD student, who has spent three years as a PhD student in Chemistry Department, Peking University. Welcome!
- 12/Aug/2012 Yan’s group warmly welcomes Miss Chen Xi as the first PhD student, who did her undergraduate and master study at Wu Han University in China and started an exciting new journey at NUS in August 2012.
- 06/Jul/2012 The first lab member, Miss Wang Mengnan, is on board. She is currently a third year undergraduate student at the Department of Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering, NUS. Welcome!
- 02/Jul/2012 Commencement of Yan’s Group